The 'New item' and 'Edit item' sections consist of a form with fields to change an item's values, and a link pane to link it to items from different containers.
From the 'New item' or 'Edit item' section you can save or copy an item, or use it as import (only for csv files uploaded into the 'File' container). In the 'Edit item' section, you also have options to edit, copy and merge multiple items.
This only applies when editing multiple items. An overview of all items currently being edited is presented at the top of the 'Edit item' section. In this overview, you can select which items should be affected by your edits by selecting them.
If you want to merge items, you can populate the form with values from any of the items from the overview. To do this, hover over or tap on an item and click the 'Insert' button.
Not all form values can be changed. For instance, id values are read-only. Furthermore, form values can have requirements.
For an overview of field types and requirements:
When editing multiple items, you can select which fields you like to change. By default, the fields that have the same value for all items are selected. Change and select/deselect fields to reflect the changes you desire.
You can link items from any other container to the current item. The settings of a container (maintained in the 'Settings' section) limit the containers you can select from and the amount of items you can select.
Info: it is possible you can see links to items from containers from which you cannot link other items. This either means the possibility to link is only set for the other container, or the possibility to link was removed completely. The possibility to link does not influence the links themselves. Editing or deleting their parent items is the only way to remove them.
The main actions when creating a new item are:
- Add this item: saves the item and reloads the 'New item' section, returning to its default state.
- Add & continue editing: saves the item and loads the 'Edit item' section, loading the newly saved item to be edited. The 'New item' section will return to its default state.
The main actions when editing a single existing item are:
- Update this item: saves the item and reloads the 'Edit item' section, loading the current item to be edited.
- Save item as a copy: saves a copy of the current item (including any edits) and reloads the 'Edit item' section, loading the current item (with no edits saved).
- Import this file: directly load the contents of a CSV file into the 'Import' pane in the 'System' section (works only for CSV files uploaded in the 'File' container). This action directly opens the 'Import' pane with the validation results of the uploaded data.
The main actions when editing multiple existing items are:
- Update this selection: saves the checked fields from the items selected in the overview and reloads the 'Edit item' section, loading all items in the overview to be edited.
- Save items as copies: saves the items selected in the overview as copies (including any edits) and reloads the 'Edit item' section, loading all items in the overview (with no edits saved).
- Merge this selection: merges the items selected in the overview to a single item, with the form field values currently shown. All fields need to be checked for inclusion. If this is not the case, they will automatically be checked when merging.
The 'New item' and 'Edit item' sections have one action button (top right, in the section bar):
- Reset: reload the item, voiding any unsaved changes when editing an item, or starting over when creating a new item.